Ek,Do, Teen,Chaar & a PUNCH :)







I was born and bought up in Chennai ,though I studied in KV the only hindi word that time I or most of my friends  knew was “Jai Hind” and only hindi song we knew was “Jana, gana, mana...”.  Many years later only I came to know that even that was not hindi.  We started liking Hindi after  Tezaab movie I was 10years old then. That’s when almost everyone in Tamilnadu would have learnt one, two, three in hindi ek, do, teen...When we saw madhuri dance, all of us immediately understood that Hindi was the best language,Hindi humara mathrbasha hain J_ !  How we wished Madhuri to be our teacher! She made learning so easy … J

Before Tezaab happened, we used to watch a hindi film only on a Saturday evening which will be shown on Doordarshan.And also some hindi we get to hear were from black and white news reels played in the theatres before every movie.  I was told that screening them was compulsory in those days.Mostly Gandhi ji used to walk in fast mode in those reels . Then some alien voice would recite some mantras in hindi.  Then 5,4,3,2 and 1 will come in circles and then the movie would start. I thought they were the warning for the late comers. J

 I told my father that I want to watch  Tezaab movie,that’s when he probably would have lost hope on me and started focussing on my sister J..  He took me to our neighbourhood  ‘Meenakshi’ theater ,my dad still cribs that he bought a balcony ticket which cost Rs.3 then….He is a Vijaithimala fan you see J.The movie started ,but I felt like I was watching a Chinese movie in china… I understood nothing. To see Madhuri, I had to bear the hairy face of Anil Kapoor and hairless face of Anupam kher. Then came the much awaited ek, do, teen... song.  My body, heart and soul swayed along with Madhuri’s movements especially those scintillating back steps shaking her hip as if it was another body. People went delirious and berserk. If Gandhiji had seen that reactions of audience in theater, he would have walked backwards and returned the independence…J I still remember that euphoria lasted 7 minutes. When the song was over, the crowd left the theatre. Madhuri carried the movie successfully at the box office on her hips.  It was the beginning of a new era. When Beta was released, Indians heartbeat also changed from ‘tick’ ‘tick’ to ‘dhak’ ‘dhak’.  It continued till Nene, Madhuri’s husband came and stopped our heartbeat…..then I moved on to Sonali bendre J

If Madhuri had come to  “Tamil Nadu”, we would have built a temple and named her as “Madhuri Amman.”  After her retirement, we would have made her Chief Minister also !

Yesterday I watched  Bhagi 2 ,the movie was good until that horrific moment , When the new ek, do, teen happened  ,Jacqueline  started to run as in 100m race and I ran for my life.  Her dance movements resembled belly fat reduction exercises…seriously J  She was rotating her stomach like baba Ramdev ,leaving him ashamed of himself.  Clearly she lacked elegance and Madhuri’s innocent face with that killer look was missing.

It is always better to leave out the classics. Nowadays our music directors take an old song, add 2 tsp rap music, 3 tsp rock music and 1 tsp gasoline and burn them.  After hearing their song, you won’t like to hear the original as well. Indian Mozarts are now the hazards, they must realise that the old magic can never be recreated….  These songs are part of us.

Remember! If this trend continues, we ‘not so much’ 40 year old youngsters have no choice but will go to Chennai marina beach again for protesting …. J

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Button Idly and Nirav Modi !

A 'cooker' (i)n me !